At WSP, you’ll find yourself challenged in more fascinating and far-reaching ways than ever before. You’ll explore new and inspiring opportunities to make the most of your expertise, broaden your professional horizons and create exciting new possibilities for people, organisations and society in general.
WSP are seeking experienced Senior level Electrical Engineers to join our UK Mission Critical Team.
As an integral member of the WSP Mission Critical Team candidates will support the team in developing conceptual designs for electrical distribution systems from EHV, HV, MV to Low Voltage incorporating high voltage equipment, generation equipment, UPS plant, low voltage switchgear and power control and monitoring systems.
You will work within a mechanical, electrical and public health (MEP) discipline team providing design and technical advice on projects in a discipline lead capacity and a WSP project manager capacity on medium sized projects.
- Provide advice to clients regarding electrical systems/requirements available to meet their business needs.
- Leading the design of data centre electrical systems and equipment
- Provide written reports of system options in the form of design development notes.
- Produce technical specifications for electrical systems, ensuring compliance with relevant standards and client requirements
- Ensure coordination other disciplines including Architect and Structural engineers
- Produce calculations, technical/equipment specification documentation for tender.
- Monitor installation of designed equipment/systems to ensure compliance with employers’ requirements, design specifications and all relevant safety codes.
Lead and manage a team of Electrical Engineers working in the mission critical sector.
- Be comfortable in a client facing role discussing technical subjects with the ability to discuss and agree client requirements.
- Attend meetings and be able to lead presentations.
- Produce fee proposals for potential new projects and agree variations/changes to existing projects.
- Manage project fee expenditure throughout its life cycle.
- Manage multiple projects at the same time and ensure deadlines are met.
- Ensure project resources are in place to achieve deadlines
- Work independently and as part of the WSP global project team.
- Supporting future business opportunities through client management and engagement
- Preferably Degree qualified and having completed several major mission critical projects from inception to completion
- Chartered status (or working towards Chartered status) or equivalent experience
- Strong technical knowledge in primary engineering discipline and relevant UK and EU regulations, design guides, etc
- Strong understanding of the secondary engineering discipline
- IT literate with a technical understanding of relevant IT packages i.e. Amtech, Microsoft office
- Knowledge in HV electrical systems would be an advantage
- Professional, personable and competent manner
- Flexible approach to meet the demands of projects
- Able to work as part of a team as well as ability to effectively lead, direct and mentor individuals within and outside of the WSP team
- Good organisational and planning skills
- Experience of working to timescales and deadlines
- Have understanding of contract administration, procurement and conditions of contract/ appointment
- Able to develop effective relationships with strong interpersonal and influencing skills
- Have a detailed understanding of the of tier system.
- Have understanding of working with RevitMEP or other 3D design software to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
- Have working knowledge of AutoCAD to allow the allocation / direction of work on projects.
- Large Power (11Kv) Distribution Systems
- Electrical Building Load Assessments
- Standby Generation and UPS
- Fire/Voice Alarm and Security Systems
- Data Centres and Financial Services Establishments
- Lighting Design (internal and external)
- Combined Heat and Power Plant
What if we can have work-life balance? What if we can be rewarded in ways that support our individual needs? What if we can be accepted for who we are? Here at WSP – we can!
WSP recognizes that work is only one part of our lives and making time for the other things in our life is important – be that our families, our friends or ourselves. So, if working from home, working part-time or having flexible start and finish time will help with this let us know as part of your application.
As well as rewarding you with competitive pay, WSP offers standard benefits including a 37.5 hour working week, 25 days annual leave, pension schemes, life assurance, personal accident cover and paid professional subscriptions, and some not so standard benefits as part of our flexible benefits scheme – so if you would like to hop on a new bike (cycle to work scheme) or thrill the family with your Lego building skills (Discount at Legoland Windsor) – WSP can help!
Be you, be happy - we strive to have a friendly and inclusive culture which respects and maximizes the contribution individuals can bring to WSP. We recognise the benefits that people with varying backgrounds and experiences can bring. Our VIBE (LGBT + employee network) and PLEDGE (Promoting Leadership, Encouraging Diversity & Gender Equality) networks work with the business to help ensure we continue to promote the right environment to enable LGBT+ and female employees to reach their full potential, and to ensure we continue to promote equality, inclusivity and diversity for everyone.
Here at WSP we positively encourage applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy or maternity/paternity. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.
In addition we support our people to achieve their personal health and well-being goals through our Thrive programme.
WSP is one of the world's leading engineering professional services firms providing technical consultancy to the built and natural environment. We believe that for societies to thrive, we must all hold ourselves accountable for tomorrow. For us, that means creating innovative solutions to the challenges the future will bring to the communities and environments where we live and work across the UK.
We are locally dedicated and propelled by international brainpower. We are technical experts and strategic advisors, including engineers, technicians, scientists, architects, planners, surveyors and environmental specialists, as well as other design, programme and construction management professionals. Our experts design lasting solutions in the property & buildings, transportation & infrastructure, environment, industry, resources (including mining, and oil & gas) and power & energy sectors as well as project delivery and strategic consulting services. And safety and sustainability are embedded in everything that we do.
Check out www.wsp.com for more info about the great work we do.
Please note that WSP reserve the right to close this vacancy prior to the advertised closing date.