General Description includes complex electrical engineering design, analysis and development of an assigned scope of work in a McDermott project and/or specific complex deliverables such as power generation systems, substation & power distribution systems and lighting & grounding systems. Work includes, among other things, conceptual studies, cost and planning studies, layouts, voltage drop calculations, specification development and electrical one-line diagrams. Is able to effectively communicate complex technical solutions and concepts to other engineers and non-engineers. Assists with training other engineers by providing instruction on new technologies and/or a specialization. Supports the development of new technologies and methods. Is the highest level Engineer position and looked to for technical expertise. Maintains and promotes a focus on McDermotts end product whether engineering, fabrication or construction. Ensures effective communications among other engineering disciplines. Ensures effective management of change. Assumes responsibility for cost, schedule, quantity and budget control. Assist the Department Manager in developing standards and tools for the department. Assist the Department Manager in preparing proposals. Is able to replace the Department Manager on request. Assist the Department Manager in performing quality Audits and Reviews.
This experience should include operating as the engineer in charge of the engineering of major equipment or systems on projects, and must have been responsible for carrying out these tasks with minimum supervision.In addition, must have supervised engineers of the same discipline and must be able to liaise with engineers and drawing office staff of all disciplines.
- Has proven to be successful in aforementioned tasks, however, is technically more experienced and works more independently.
- Is able to function as Lead Engineer for large projects and is thus responsible for the technical and commercial quality of the work of his group.
- Is in the role of Lead Engineer responsible for the overall coordination of the relevant EPC work processes and reports as part of the project management team to the Project Manager.
- Assist in corporate activities such as corporate specifications and standards development, bid estimating and assisting other projects with technical matter.
- Define a scope of work and related estimates and set up systems for progress reporting.
- Prepare an installation subcontract and technically evaluate the bids.
- Carry out the required inspections for seller produced electrical systems in cooperation of the Inspection Department or independently.
- Must be capable and willing to take on a field assignment or transfer to another office.
- Is responsible for and independently makes network and system calculations and determines necessary safety devices.
- Ensures that personnel under his/her supervision is up to date on company/project standards, procedures and specification and that they are fully adhered to.
- Is responsible for keeping himself up to date on the development electrical systems.
- Shows flexibility and ensures proper hand-over with regards to:
- The reassignment to other departments.
- The replacement of colleagues during illness and holidays.
- The provision of assistance to other colleagues with heavy workload (also other projects) when possible/desirable.
- The managing/learning of current/future working methods and software applications.
- Engineering Degree or HND
- Typically has the following years of detail electrical engineering experience:
- 15 years experience
- Is familiar with codes and standards of NEC, IEEE, NFPA and ANSI.
- Is current on new scientific engineering methods and possesses a broad technical knowledge of the detail design engineering process.
- Is capable of appropriate use of computer applications and other specialized engineering tools.
- Accredited engineering degree as may be required by specific regions.
- Prefer MEng degree, Chartered Engineer (CEng) status and Member of a Professional Institution.
- Written/spoken English
- Supervision qualities
- Communicative skills (meetings, reporting)
- Capable of working under stressful situations
- Flexible, Stress resistant, Persistence to meet objectives
- Coach and Mentor to all within the department
- Interaction with other Department Managers
- Interaction with MOPEX Offices
- Able to judge output reports of EDSA, SPEL, ETAP
- Able to guide integrated database approach
- Experience in contracting or related industries plus experience in the contracting industry.
McDermott is a premier, fully-integrated provider of technology, engineering and construction solutions to the energy industry. For more than a century, customers have trusted McDermott to design and build end-to-end infrastructure and technology solutionsfrom the wellhead to the storage tankto transport and transform oil and gas into the products the world needs today.