ConeTec is an industry-leading provider of geotechnical site investigation services and specializes in the testing of subsurface conditions in unique environments. Working as a contractor within the industries of infrastructure, construction and mining, the Field Engineer is responsible for the safe, efficient and accurate operation of geotechnical and geophysical site investigation equipment. Given significant responsibility, the Field Engineer is tasked with the smooth and accurate execution of various projects, from deployment of equipment to data acquisition and submission. They will work closely with equipment operators, gaining hands-on experience with unique heavy machinery and a sophisticated suite of geotechnical instruments in a variety of environments. The Field Engineer will assume numerous other roles ranging from Assistant Field Operator to Project Coordinator as the ever-changing demands of the workplace dictate. A successful candidate must have well-developed interpersonal, organizational and communication skills as well as strong problem-solving abilities.
OVERALL GOALS FOR POSITION
Develop a strong working knowledge of site investigation practices and procedures.
- Build comprehension of soil mechanics, in-situ testing, and geophysical field investigations.
- Gain experience and exposure as a contractor in several of North America’s largest industries.
- Expand skill set through training and certifications to become an asset of a larger team.
ROLES, RESPONSIBILITIES & EXPECTATIONS
Familiarize with and operate CPTu equipment, VST, sampling systems, numerous geophysical instruments and other in-situ testing equipment in a safe and productive manner.
- Become trained, company-certified and competent to operate numerous types of drilling equipment and other pieces of equipment within our extensive fleet.
- Organize logistics for the mobilization and demobilization of equipment in hard-to-access environments.
- Perform routine maintenance on various pieces of equipment to ensure optimal performance.
Data Collection & Reporting
Perform testing to collect data in a timely, orderly and accurate manner.
- Compile the collected data, sample logs, etc. daily and submit to the Engineer/Supervisor and/or client for further processing.
- Collect field notes and photos to guarantee the translation of data from field to office is as highly accurate as possible.
- Prepare and compile final field report.
Health & Safety
Identify with and respect ConeTec’s safety culture, first and foremost.
- Ensure proper preparation and knowledge of all necessary safe operating procedures before beginning any job.
- Report any safety-related incidents, infractions, or near misses to the Project Manager and the
- HSE Officer, immediately.
- Know and follow the incident reporting protocol at all times.
Other General Responsibilities
Communicate with the Supervisor or Project Manager as to any equipment problems or needs, as well as any field observations that might be of use.
- Perform other shop functions as required.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Geology or Applied Science
Previous field experience is an asset, in addition to the academic experience noted above
Technical Skill Requirements
Experience with Microsoft Excel is an asset
- Electrical and mechanical skills are an asset but not required
Soft Skill Requirements
Must possess strong work ethic and represent the company in a professional manner.
- Must be able to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Must be responsible and work well independently or in a team setting with minimal supervision.
- Must enjoy working outdoors and travelling for extended periods of time.
- Must enjoy performing a wide variety of duties and be able to manage multiple tasks and
Must have a clean driving record.