Occidental is an international oil and gas exploration and production company, and its OxyChem subsidiary is a major North American chemical manufacturer. We are one of the largest U.S. oil and gas companies, based on equity market capitalization, with more than 40,000 employees and contractors worldwide.
Our greatest asset is our people. We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual to fill the position of Human Resources Generalist on our Human Resources team in Houston, Midland or Lubbock, Texas and Carlsbad, New Mexico supporting the US Onshore Resources and Carbon Management (ORCM) business segment.
- Provides HR support to a corporate client base, ranging from 100 to 500 employees.
- Manages employment-related programs and practices, ensuring effective recruitment and placement of qualified candidates to support business needs, and in compliance with the corporation’s policies, and state and federal laws.
- Provides appropriate balance between employee advocacy and responsibility to act as a business partner in advising management on effective ways to resolve employee issues.
- Facilitates a focus on employee development and training through administration of performance planning cycle and available internal and external developmental resources.
- Supports the health, safety, environment, and security objectives of the business for the protection of its employees and the communities in which the company operates.
- Maintains effective communication programs through regular meetings, written communications and accessibility to employees either through open-door policy or routine presence within assigned areas of responsibility.
- Assists managers in preparation of strategic plans, reports, and studies, as required.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with other human resources groups within Oxy.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related academic field.
- Five or more years of experience as a human resources generalist.
- Applied experience in a broad range of employee-related programs, including employee relations, policy administration, performance management, organizational effectiveness, compensation, and recruiting.
- Experience and comfort in consulting with line managers; ability to provide candid and direct feedback.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Must be able to effectively explain issues, express opinions, ask questions, actively listen, consider alternative ideas, and deliver presentations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational agility.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to deliver results while working in a fast-paced, high-stress environment.
- Customer-service focus; ability to interact professionally in a helpful, courteous, and professional manner
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, strong work ethic, and demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the position
- Ability to remain flexible and shift priorities quickly
- MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; intermediate to advanced preferred
- Experience in using human resources systems (preferably PeopleSoft)
- Must be willing and able to travel periodically within the US up to 30%.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Previous experience supporting field or plant operations personnel.
- Experience with Spotfire or PowerBI reporting tools.
Occidental is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Job Human Resources
Primary Location United States-Texas-Midland