Who We Are
At WSP, we are driven by inspiring future-ready pioneers to innovate. We’re looking to grow our teams with people who are ready to collaborate in building communities and expanding our skylines. To do this, we hire candidates of all backgrounds. That’s why here at WSP, inclusion, diversity, equity and belonging are core principles. Anything is within our reach and yours as a WSP employee. Come join us and help shape the future!
At WSP, we are inspired by bringing together the right people to be a part of future-focused business objectives to support our vast client base. Across the world, the importance of ethical environmental systems and projects are the foundation of shaping the future of our environment. Through public consultancy, strategic planning practices and stakeholder engagement, we can provide clients a concrete and realistic understanding of a project’s impact.
As a world-wide leader of environmental and transportation consulting and planning services, we invite you to be a part of that vision. Our Planning & Environment group in Albuquerque, New Mexico, is looking for an Environmental Planner to support and add to our wide and diverse range of environmental planning services that enables future-ready growth.
- Assists with the planning, development, and implementation of environmental projects to ensure that development projects comply with environmental laws and regulations under close supervision
- Participate in planning studies and documents related to environmental planning, including; National Environmental Policy Act documentation and/or other environmental planning documentation, figures and maps for environmental and transportation planning studies. Conduces biological evaluations in support of planning projects.
- Contribute to the biological resources portions of planning documents
- Demonstrated commitment to keeping up-to-date in knowledge of current trends and planning practices
- Coordination, preparation, and submittal of regulatory development applications and other land use planning for energy projects (oil/gas, renewables, etc.) with minimal direction/supervision
- Maintains and designs project tracking mechanisms, process design, and record keeping
- Initiate and coordinate project development requirements with WSP personnel, outside contractors, and agency / tribal stakeholders
- Participate in decision making to carry out land development with consideration given to the natural environment, social, political, and economic factors to achieve sustainable outcomes while following local, state, federal, and/or tribal environmental regulations and procedures.
- Conducts data collection, research, field surveys, technical memoranda, documentation, and technical work under supervision
- Prepare report and studies and potential visual representations of data
- Responsible for interpreting regulatory rules and rule changes and ensuring that they are communicated to and implemented by operational groups, and will assist with recommending changes to procedures in response to changes in regulations, as well as advising operational teams on compliance issues.
- Participate in public and stakeholder engagement in a professional manner
- Attend client meetings, community outreach activities and stakeholder activities
- Collaborate on presentation material and ideas with other staff in preparation for public meetings or interactions
- Begin to provide guidance to junior staff or interns to assist with project flow
- Exercise responsible and ethical decision-making regarding company funds, resources and conduct and adhere to WSP’s Code of Conduct and related policies and procedures.
- Other duties as required by business needs.
Who You Are
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 3 to 5 years of experience
- Proficiency with local plant and animal identification
- Computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Potential to travel within West region for short periods (2-4 days) approx. 10% of the time
- Post Graduate Education (Graduate Level courses, short courses, Masters)
- Growing industry knowledge through participating in local professional practice organization
- Exposure ArcGIS
- Experience working with tribal, federal, state, or local agencies or the public
- May participate in and conduct field delineation of wetlands and waters of the US or other field or permitting activities
- Experience conducting protocol surveys for special status species, particularly avian raptors and endangered plants
- Experience creating, editing, and analyzing information within Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software to produce maps and spatial analysis for a variety of topic areas, including: natural resources, land use / land cover, ecotypes, habitat, etc
- Familiarity with rules and regulations related to the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Endangered Species Act; Migratory Bird Treaty Act; Clean Water Act; and state and local environmental rules and regulations and related reporting requirements (e.g., Environmental Assessments; Biological Assessments; Reclamation Plans; Pre-Construction Notifications)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.
- Successful applicant must be able to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 prior to their start date or prior to December 8, 2021, whichever is later, or be granted an exemption based on a disability or sincerely held religious belief. If you cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability or a sincerely-held religious belief, you may submit an accommodation request to WSP’s Equal Employment Opportunity Office. Learn more about the COVID-19 vaccination here - https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/index.html.
- Required Education: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Experience
- Minimum Years Experience: 3-5 years
- Travel Required: 10%
- Job Status: Regular
- Employee Type: Full
- Primary Location: ALBUQUERQUE - LOUISIANA BLVD
- All locations: US-NM-Albuquerque
About WSP USA
WSP USA is the U.S. operating company of WSP, one of the world's leading engineering and professional services firms. Dedicated to serving local communities, we are engineers, planners, technical experts, strategic advisors and construction management professionals. WSP USA designs lasting solutions in the buildings, transportation, energy, water and environment markets. With more than 12,000 employees in over 200 offices across the U.S., we partner with our clients to help communities prosper. www.wsp.com
WSP provides a comprehensive suite of benefits including medical, dental, vision, disability, life, and retirement savings focused on a providing health and financial stability throughout the employee’s career.
At WSP, we want to give our employees the challenges they seek to grow their careers and knowledge base. Your daily contributions to your team will be essential in meeting client objectives, goals and challenges. Are you ready to get started?
WSP USA (and all of its U.S. companies) is an Equal Opportunity Employer Race/Age/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Disability or Protected Veteran Status.
The selected candidate must be authorized to work in the United States.