- The Business Development Manager – Enhanced Oil Recovery position is responsible for driving growth of Scleroglucan (a specialty biopolymer) for EOR by incubating and executing on a diversified portfolio of customer-focused development projects. The position coordinates commercial activities to achieve earnings projections, and is responsible for collaborating cross-functionally as a member of the leadership team.
Responsibilities and Duties
35% Customer and Partner Relationship Management:
- Lead project development and negotiation. Build relationships with technical and commercial organizations at targeted customers. Identify new global customers and markets for commercialization.
- Evaluate and develop partners for their commercial and technical value proposition - to drive successful commercialization of the product.
- Negotiate/manage external confidentiality, material transfer and commercial supply agreements.
- Manage customer adoption. Understand customer specific requirements to optimize (prioritize) internal product development projects - to most optimally serve unmet customer needs
- Forecasting: Lead bottom up analysis for each customer project volume demand and work cross-functionally to plan production and manage the scale-up schedule.
25% Market Development:
- Maintain superior understanding of EOR market development drivers, including current and planned global EOR projects and intellectual property. Communicate these within the organization and make proposals on how to act, react, manage, and prioritize opportunities.
- Build/maintain a database of target customer-specific reservoirs where EOR solutions enable distinctive value. Monitor, evaluate and develop strategies for commercialization and competitive market threats.
- Research and engage in industry, related events, publications/announcements,
- Develop and execute strategy for marketing/brand management and customer segmentation.
25% Value-Based Sales Management:
- Execute value-based pricing on distinctive product functional benefits (vs. competitive alternatives)
- Manage and optimize product development priorities & portfolio: Align product and service offerings to meet evolution of external market demand (environment)
- Direct technical support priorities - to accelerate/de-risk customer-specific projects
- Support technology team in planning for manufacturing scale-up by evaluating potential external manufacturing opportunities or using existing internal assets to meet customer demand
15% Key Project Team Member:
- Commercial Analysis: Provide “voice of customer” to enable cross-functional prioritization of action plans/projects. Develop business case for the projects through market research and/or direct customer interviews, forecast supply and demand of target market, competitive reaction, and value chain analysis.
- Technology Analysis: Coordinate with Research & Development (R&D;) and Intellectual Property groups to identify key technology risks/opportunities and implications on the business case.
- Financial Analysis: Engage in financial analysis (DCF) to evaluate potential options and aspects of any negotiated deals or scale-up plans; in alignment with Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) tools.
Required Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in technical field (i.e. Engineering or Science) with minimum 10 years of work experience in Oil Field markets; strategic development, planning and commercialization (execution) of innovative products or technologies and marketing strategies -OR- an Advanced Degree with minimum 5 years of work experience in Oil Field markets; strategic development, planning and commercialization (execution) of innovative products or technologies and marketing strategies.
- Experience in Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR) applications
- Demonstrated ability to successfully negotiate confidentiality, material transfer and supply agreements
- Superior communication skills (written, oral and presentation), with demonstrated ability to interact effectively with senior level executives internally and externally
- Experience in developing strategy and product portfolio review
- Experience developing and executing a clear marketing/commercialization plan
- Strong project management skills
- Strong attention to detail, especially when managing intellectual property
- Ability to move forward (execute) on ideas and projects in spite of ambiguity
- Experience working in a cross-function, matrix organization where building stakeholder alignment is critical to success
- Demonstrated strong problem solving, analytical and financial modeling skills
- Ability to adapt and learn in a changing work environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment as the situation demands
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally up to 40% of the time
- Microsoft Office suite experience.
- Advanced Technical Degree (i.e. Engineering or Science)
- Demonstrated strong relationships within the Oil Field (EOR) Industry
- Demonstrated ability to grow sales and commercialize new products within the Oil Field Industry
- Experience working with Oil Field Chemical companies - competitive polymer (polyacrylamides) and EOR service solutions
- Experience in fermentation process technology and bio-polymers
- Ability to predict emerging trends in Enhanced Oil Recovery applications
Job Type: Full-time
- Oil Field Industry: 10 years (Required)
- Enhanced Oil Recovery (EOR): 10 years (Preferred)
- Sales: 10 years (Required)
- Business Development Management: 7 years (Required)